work in progress...


i'm working on a pair of pigeons for a client in brooklyn. this is my second attempt at a pattern... the first didn't work out to well. i really love making new patterns, though it can turn into a long and frustrating process. mostly, for me, this occurs because i have so little time to focus. the title to this post refers not only to the pigeons but myself. i feel like such a constant work in progress. i am in awe of the artists i know who have small children... some smaller than mine... who are able to accomplish so much more than i do. yes, this is the first year of homeschooling my older son, and carting the younger to preschool three mornings a week. i haven't been able to find the right balance yet between meeting my childrens needs and my own needs/wants. i find myself wanting to work more, but wonder if the timing is just not right. i have mostly been working with vintage patterns, which i love to do and are good for improving my technical and creative skills. I really want to start making more of my own patterns... like i have done with my birds. i have so many ideas but i am hesitant i guess to really work on them. maybe that has nothing to do with time, but my own insecurities as an artist? the same thing that keeps me from really promoting my work? it's hard to say becasue i have not been doing this very long and have never really had that freedom with time. hopefully in the next year i will start to figure these things out. that's what new years are for right? new beginnings for a work in progress like me.

3 comments:

kendall.micayla said...

its so cute!!! i have always thought it would be fun to sit down one day to make up a pattern for something but i know with me it would never work :)

abbyglassenberg said...

I know how you feel so well. I always tell myself when a new design doesn't work that it wasn't a waste of time. It is never a waste of time because there is always something learned. Keep going!

Cary said...

kendall... you never know until you try:) it does feel so great when you finally figure it out. plus, i have learned that "perfect" isn't the goal. often times i will make something that isn't really what i had in mind, but the quirkiness of it really appeals to me and seems to give them their personality.

thanks abby.... your work is always an inspiration and i look so forward to your book!