broken...


this has been a strange week for me. many things i hold dear, or find extremely useful in my everyday life are turning up broken. my toaster, cd player, sweet little green vintage planter i bought for my birthday, my french press (gasp)... and so on. i'm not sure what this means? i tend to read into everything, especially when it happens in strange groupings.



i feel like the "universe" is trying to tell me something, or my own brain is trying to tell me something, or maybe just my children are trying to tell me something, since they are the ones mostly likely to do the breaking. maybe it's a simple matter of inattentiveness. i don't really mean my own (usual) fumbling, because i'm not the one breaking things this time, but perhaps i am not being as attentive to those around me as i should be.



with each heart wrenching shatter, and "oops!" accompanied by a sad tear on the part of the dropper i am perhaps being reminded to pay less attention to these things, no matter how beloved, and more attention to the people around me. maybe it means i need to take more breaks, not from them but with them. that i need to find the right balance in my life and certainly much more patience? eternal quests for me and, i guess everyone. these are not always easy lessons. maybe it takes a little bit of earth shattering to wake me up.


8 comments:

katy said...

beautiful pictures!
(hopefully no more breaks today... i think you've filled your quota for the month!)

Colleen said...

beautiful post.

i too find that when things are "falling apart" around me it makes me look at what it is that i need to be doing; or not doing.

i love that first photo. the colours of the skirt(s)/dress/apron? gorgeous. i seem to be so attracted to reds and other bright colours these days.

mummysam said...

how perfectly written, and I feel like you could easily be talking about my life. We just went through a situation of incidences with our 6 year old that finally reached a point where I had to take a step back and look at why things were becoming the way they were.
thanks for putting it in such a lovely way that I could not...(you have a beautiful way with words my dear...) now I am off to snap that quick picture of myself!

Cary said...

thanks sam:) it's funny that we both have been going through the same thing! my 7 year old broke two of those things within minutes of each other. i first felt the normal anger and frustration, but then i had to take a step back, as you put it, and look at his feelings too. not always easy!

loved your pic! what were you working on?

DEK said...

You are becoming wise at an early age!

Cary said...

well, i don't know about that but i do have good teachers:)

Unknown said...

ohhhh! i had that last week! and a friend said ???where were you when all of this was happening? i responded cleaning the last mess! uggh! it must be the time of year! the children are usually outside! the playground is now inside...and a french press...what a cool new toy! we need spring!

Cary said...

you are absolutely right rachel! i keep trying to send them outside but they hurry back in. spring sounds so wonderful right about now.